This 10 minute cardio workout for beginners consists of 7 bodyweight exercises. A full body and intense routine that can be done by any fitness level. Let's Go!
10 Minute Cardio Workout For Beginners at Home (No Weights)
10 Minute Full Body Cardio Workout at Home
For this 10 minute cardio workout, a total of 7 bodyweight exercises are included.
The workout interval timer used is 30 seconds of work, followed by 15 seconds of rest for each exercise.
2 total rounds should be completed. One round done is considered when you perform 1 set for each of these 7 exercises by doing them one after the other.
This is a circuit high intensity cardio workout
Once finishing with round 1, you will rest for 60 seconds and move on to the second round.
This is a 100% follow along workout video.
Here is the bodyweight cardio exercise list:
1. High knee ankle tap.
2. Speed burpee.
3. Ground tap skaters.
5. High knees to mountain climbers (alternate 8 repetitions for each).
6. Alternating static monkey.
7. Plank ankle taps.
What Makes This 10 Minute Routine Efficient?
1. Full body and dynamic exercises - these total body cardio exercises will shape the high-intensity nature of this 10 minute workout. Such moves will activate all the muscles in your body, help you burn additional calories and do more work in less time needed.
You will notice and feel the dynamic and athletic nature of these movements.
2. Workout timer used - the 30/15 work/rest interval timer is a good high-intensity option because it will keep you in the right intense zone while still providing you with some time to take your breath back and to tackle the upcoming exercise. Also, the 60 seconds between round resting period will additionally give you a moment to recover and to jump into round 2 with higher power.
3. Follow along workout video - as a beginner your focus should be on the exercise tempo and technique execution. Leave the workout itself, exercise selection, sequence etc. to people who understand this better than you at the moment. For that reason, it is best to do only follow along workout videos which today's 10 minute cardio routine actually is.
How To Modify This 10 Minute Cardio Workout?
In case this 10 minute cardio workout is too easy or too hard for you, we will review both scenarios in a separate way:
1. This 10 minute cardio workout is too easy - in case this workout is too easy for you and 10 minutes is not sufficient time to get a good muscular or cardio stimulation, then once finishing with the 10 minutes, rest for 2-3 minutes and repeat the video again. Repeat this for 2-5 times and even if you are an advanced trainee, you will get drained and satisfied.
2. This routine is too hard - In case you are out of shape and this is too intense for you, what you can do is to perform only the first round of this workout which is 5 minutes duration. This way, the session will be shorter and easier.
Another way to proceed is to once finish with round 1, pause the video, start an additional stopwatch and rest for 3-5 full minutes, play the workout video again and attack round 2.
Use This 10 Minute Dynamic Warm Up and Mobility Routine
Warming up the muscles, joints and ligaments before your cardio workouts is essential in order to prepare the body for the upcoming bouts of exercises. By doing a dynamic warm up before cardio, your core temperature will increase, which will wake up the nervous system and your overall workout performance will be better. Also, the mind-muscle connection will improve which is always beneficial. Last but not least, by warming up before your high-intensity cardio workouts, you will decrease the risks of injuries.
Is 10 Minutes Of Cardio Enough?
10 minutes of cardio can be enough for a complete workout. But in order to do so, you will have to work out in an intense way during this time and rest as little as possible. The more repetitions and sets you perform during these 10 minutes, the better. Also, 10 minutes of cardio will be enough if it's applied more frequently on a daily basis. Otherwise, it would not be sufficient to give you results over time. To conclude, a 10 minute cardio workout will be considered as enough if you push the pedal so the intensity is high, you will implement minimal resting periods and you will perform such routines multiple times per week in order to get satisfactory results.
Are 10 Minute Workouts Effective For The Beginner?
To get an effective 10 minute cardio workout for beginner, follow these recommendations:
1. Pick more full body exercises - when you perform full body bodyweight exercises, you will activate multiple if not, all of the muscles in the body. That will make such moves more difficult, hence, you will get a better outcome, more calories burnt, hormonal response, cardio and conditioning improvement.
2. Pick more dynamic moves - the more dynamic the exercises, the higher cardio demand will be required by your body. That itself will lead to high intensity, more athletic work done, improved stamina, agility, leg and arm speed.
3. Do not neglect the core muscles and strength - while this is a cardio-focused workout, it doesn't mean that your core muscles cannot be tacked with good core HIIT exercises. Such movements will help you not just build the mid-section of your body but will challenge the whole body's mobility, strength and cardio too.
4. Rest minimum between sets or working rounds.
5. Perform your exercises with higher speed and effort in order to get the right stimulus for the body. As a beginner, this might be difficult at the start, but once you get more proficient, this approach will help you a lot to develop a fit, athletic and functional physique.
Can You Lose Weight With 10 Minute Workouts?
You will lose weight with the 10 minute cardio workouts if you implement such routines frequently enough and for a longer period of time while being in a caloric deficit and sleep/recover well. If some of the mentioned above is not followed, you might face difficult times in terms of losing weight. In general, it is recommended besides the cardio to implement a few strength-focused routines per week in order to develop a balance between strength and cardio. However, as a beginner, if you do more high-intensity or HIIT bodyweight workouts only, you will be more than okay and this will help you get in better overall shape in just a few month's time.
How Often Should You Do 10 Minutes of Cardio?
The number of 10 minute cardio workouts performed on a weekly basis will be determined by your workout program. To clarify further, we can review 3 cases:
1. You will perform only 10 minute cardio workouts - in case you are a beginner and you prefer to do only 10 minute workouts, then a high-frequency approach can be applied. Do 4-6 10 minute workouts per week in order to get the necessary stimulation of both muscles and energy systems.
2. Use the 10 minute cardio as a finisher of the resistance workouts - if you lift weights or do strength calisthenics, then you can always include a short and intense 10 minute workout at the end for improving your cardio, conditioning and to increase the fat-burning process. Also, you will feel good to move your muscles after a strength routine.
3. 10 minute cardio workout as a stand-alone session - in case you lift weights or do strength calisthenic workouts, but you don't like combining cardio work with resistance one, then a 10 minute cardio workout performed on a separate day will always give you good benefits and will worth the effort.
Is It Okay To Do 10 Minutes of HIIT Cardio Everyday?
By doing 10 minutes of cardio everyday you will not lose weight faster nor will get any quick fitness results. In addition, doing high-intensity cardio everyday might not be the most optimal training plan. Your body needs to rest at least 1-2 days per week in order to recover and prepare for the upcoming workouts. In addition, stressing the body with too much cardio without giving it at least 1 day per week of rest might disrupt your hormones and lead to multiple health issues. Avoid this.
When Is The Best Time To Do 10 Minutes of Cardio?
High-intensity cardio can be performed anytime during the day. It would be better if performing such nervous system exciting workouts late at night because this might lead to difficult times with falling asleep and being productive on the followed day. It would be always better if you can be done with your exercising in the earlier stages of the day because in many cases, days are stressful and the responsibilities as grown ups will become a priority and you most likely will miss the workout. To avoid that, try doing 10 minute cardio workouts in the morning, around lunchtime, or until late afternoon at 17:00pm. If your lifestyle does not allow you to work out during these hours, then proceed in the evening, but make sure to take magnesium before bedtime in order to relax the nervous system and be able to shut yourself off on time.
How To Tone Up Your Body Fast as a Beginner?
If your goal is to tone up the body, to feel more energized, vital, with more focus, brain productivity and motivation to do whatever you have to do, then the 10 minute cardio workouts can help you achieve that. For this purpose, perform such routines 4-6 times per week and aim for maximal intensity and by including more full body bodyweight exercises in order to stress the muscles and cardiovascular system efficiently and the outcome of the session to be satisfactory.
3 Good Cardio Workouts at Home For Beginners
If you like doing high-intensity bodyweight workouts at home, then you are at the right place. I will give you 3 additional 10 minute beginner workouts that you can do whenever needed.
There are 1 low impact cardio workout, 1 full body HIIT routine and 1 core HIIT workout.
All of these 3 sessions are follow along videos so you don't have to think about anything additional except the exercise technique and tempo as well.
Below you will find each of these 3 good cardio workout videos with a description below. Also, don't miss out to check the articles related to each of these workouts. It might help you understand each session further and in higher detail.
10 Minute Low Impact Home Cardio Workout
This 10 minute low impact home cardio workout includes 13 exercises. 30/20 seconds of work/rest timer applied. You have to complete just 1 set for each of these 13 exercises and the session is over.
Here is the exercise list:
1. T push up to row
2. Squat with knee to elbow raise
3. Plank push up to jump out
4. Ground tap skaters
5. Scorpion plank reverse step
6. Squat to cursty lunge
7. Push up isometric hold jump outs
8. Jump in to jump out
9. Leg back raise to spiderman push up
10. Cross step plank
11. One arm leg twists
12. Side cross step to forward lunge
13. Hollow body hold to crab reach
10 Minute HIIT Workout For Beginners at Home
For this 10 minute HIIT workout for beginners, a total of 6 exercises are included. Each should be performed for 30 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest. You will do all of these movements in a circuit fashion, one after the other. 2 total rounds should be completed, 60 seconds rest in between.
Here is the exercise list:
1. Squat to drop lunge combo.
2. Push up isometric hold to jump out.
3. 3 way jump squat.
4. Speed burpee.
5. Plank ankle tap.
6. Sprinter sit up.
10 Minute Core Workout For Beginners
For this 10 minute core workout at home, you will have to perform 4 core bodyweight exercises while working for 30 seconds and rest for 20 seconds.
3 total rounds should be completed. No rest between rounds.
A completed round is considered when done with 1 set for each fo these 4 core exercises.
Here is the core exercise list:
1. High knees to straddle.
2. Walk out push up to sit out.
3. Plank push up to back jump.
4. High knees to mountain climbers.
Summing It Up
The 10 minute cardio workout can be a great way to get you fitter, to start moving better and to get in better overall shape without investing much of your time.
This full body bodyweight routine includes 7 exercises. All of these have a highly dynamic nature which will shape this session as a highly athletic one and will activate all of your body.
You will burn additional calories hours after the session is done due to the EPOC caused by the intensity of these full body exercises.
You can perform this 10 minute workout at home and anywhere you like. If the only way of working out to yourself will be to perform 10 minute cardio workouts, then make sure to do 4-6 sessions per week for maximal results.
If you are already lifting weights or doing strength calisthenics, you can still use this 10 minute cardio as a workout finisher by implementing it at the end of your strength workouts, or you can simply do this routine 2-3 times per week as a separate routine to enhance your cardio, conditioning and strength endurance.
What is your favorite 10 minute cardio workout?
To your Fitter self,